About the role
It is an exciting time to join North Northamptonshire Council as we embark on a programme of change to develop and grow our Children’s Commissioning Service. We are looking for an outstanding children's commissioner, with a real passion for making a difference and supporting the lives of the most vulnerable in our society. If this sounds like you and you are looking for the next step in your career please do get in touch. For an informal discussion, email Jonny Woodthorpe: Jonny.Woodthorpe@northnorthants.gov.uk
The focus of this role will be commissioning Early Years services. You will work closely with Public Health, Northamptonshire Children's Trust and the Council's Family Hubs Team to ensure that the right services are place to support children and families. You work will be essential in ensuring our children get the right start in life.
What will you be doing?
1. Deliver multi-agency commissioning strategies which set the strategic direction for how the local authority and its partners will work together to deliver improved outcomes.
This will ensure a joined-up approach to delivery and that partners are working collectively to meet identified need.
2. Development of robust needs analysis, ensuring commissioning decisions are evidence based and take into account the current and future needs of the population.
This will ensure the needs (current and future) of our young people are fully understand so that robust plans can be put in place to address these needs.
3. Market management. To include the mapping of service provision, identification of gaps in the market and implementing strategies to address identified shortfalls.
This will ensure that local services provided through the private and voluntary sector meet the needs of our young people.
4. Lead on the procurement of services, ensuring a clear service specification of what needs to be provided to meet the identified outcomes.
This will ensure the council undertakes procurements which are compliant, deliver value for money and support delivery of any identified outcomes.
5. Development and ongoing implementation of performance management framework, to ensure contractual compliance and quality assurance of all commissioned services.
This will ensure all contracted services are of a high quality, are contractually compliant and are delivering against agreed outcomes.
6. Ensure effective partnership working with all stakeholders including: statutory bodies and the private/voluntary sector. Will also ensure that service user views are central to the planning process and strategies/services are coproduced wherever possible.
This will ensure a broad range of views are taken account in the design, planning, implementation and review of services/strategies.
You will have commissioning experience and have a good understanding of the commissioning cycle and procurement.
You will have a good understanding of Early Years and Early Help.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work in partnership and develop and maintain effective working relationships.
You will have excellent communication skills. Confident leading presentations and chairing meetings. Articulate and able to communicate well both orally and in writing.
You will be analytical and skilled in undertaking robust needs analysis.
- a competitive salary
- a pension scheme, where we pay a significant contribution on top of your contribution. It provides life cover and ill-health protection.
- opportunities to develop your skills, knowledge and potential in a large unitary council
- generous leave entitlement (28 days, rising to 33 days) and bank holidays, plus the option to buy up to an extra 10 days
- agile and flexible working arrangements to help you with a healthy work-life balance.
We are a new unitary council, established in April 2021; we are one of the largest unitary councils in the country. Our vision for North Northants is to be 'A place where everyone has the best opportunities and quality of life'.
Our priorities are:
- helping people live active fulfilled lives
- caring for our young people, providing them with high quality education and opportunities
- enabling a thriving and successful economy
- leading on a green and sustainable environment
- ensuring our communities are connected so they can shape their lives and where they live
- providing modern public services
Our values, as chosen by our staff, are - Customer-focused, Respectful, Efficient, Supportive and Trustworthy.
Your differences make us different - Achieve Together.
We are undertaking consultation with the Trade Unions on terms and conditions and the future NNC pay structure and during this time are appointing new employees on interim spot salaries. You will be advised of the outcome and any impact on your role once this work is complete.