About the role
The Communications and Marketing Specialists play a vital role in the council's corporate communications service. Specialists manage and provide external and internal communications activities for the council and its services. Activities include corporate communications, marketing, digital design, social media, publications, advertising and promotional campaigns as well as the cost effective employment of all media for such purposes.
Please note that this post is politically restricted.
What will you be doing?
As a Communications and Marketing Specialist, you will:
- Provide corporate advice and implementation for senior managers, service areas and elected members on three or more of the specialist areas of the corporate communications service (as set out in the job description).
- Take a lead in areas of specialist knowledge, operating across services with minimal supervision and management.
- Challenge existing established and proposed approaches to marketing and communications activities and, working with the Senior Communications Managers and service directors and managers, produce inventive and cost-effective strategies, ideas and actions for campaigns and one-off communications projects using appropriate media.
- Persuade stakeholders of the validity and cost effectiveness of those recommendations and manage those ideas into projects within specified timescales and budgets.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of effective systems for the improved internal communications throughout the council through the co-ordination of external and internal communications activity.
You will have a degree level education (or equivalent experience). A Chartered Institute of Public Relations Diploma or similar qualification will be advantageous.
You will have demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the principles of communications and marketing gained through suitable previous work experience or through training such as the Certificate in Marketing validated by the Chartered Institute of Public Relations and Marketing.
You will have good interpersonal skills and able to communicate well with clients from all levels across the organisation. You will need to be able to interact competently with the staff, members, public, media and external agencies.
It is essential that you can stay calm in difficult situations and work accurately to tight deadlines and under pressure. You will be able to self-motivate and organise own workload with minimal day-to-day supervision.
You will have previous experience of writing communication plans and strategies.
Experience of working in local or central government or other public sector organisation, working with elected members and in a political and sensitive environment will be advantageous.
Proficiency in IT packages such as Outlook, MS Teams, Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Teams is essential.
- a competitive salary
- a pension scheme, where we pay a significant contribution on top of your contribution. It provides life cover and ill-health protection.
- opportunities to develop your skills, knowledge and potential in a large unitary council
- generous leave entitlement (28 days, rising to 33 days) and bank holidays, plus the option to buy up to an extra 10 days
- agile and flexible working arrangements to help you with a healthy work-life balance.
We are a new unitary council, established in April 2021; we are one of the largest unitary councils in the country. Our vision for North Northants is to be 'A place where everyone has the best opportunities and quality of life'.
Our priorities are:
- helping people live active fulfilled lives
- caring for our young people, providing them with high quality education and opportunities
- enabling a thriving and successful economy
- leading on a green and sustainable environment
- ensuring our communities are connected so they can shape their lives and where they live
- providing modern public services
Our values, as chosen by our staff, are - Customer-focused, Respectful, Efficient, Supportive and Trustworthy.
Your differences make us different - Achieve Together.
We are undertaking consultation with the Trade Unions on terms and conditions and the future NNC pay structure and during this time are appointing new employees on interim spot salaries. You will be advised of the outcome and any impact on your role once this work is complete.