About the role
Our Planning Management & Enforcement service is part of the Growth and Regeneration service group within the Place and Economy directorate. This new role is responsible for providing the strategic direction and management of the service, reporting directly to the Assistant Director.
North Northamptonshire’s Planning Management & Enforcement service is a product of local government reorganisation which took place across Northamptonshire in 2021. It brings together the four former district and borough local planning authority functions from across the area and we are busy working our way through a transformation programme to create a single high-performing service for North Northamptonshire. You will have a key role working with the Assistant Director to shape the future direction of the service, including the development of strategies that will deliver the transformation of the service, including its digitalisation, harmonisation of business processes and delivering continuous improvement.
North Northamptonshire is a high-growth area offering an exciting opportunity for professional development. With six sustainable urban extensions in differing phases of delivery, a wealth of large commercial and industrial development proposals and everything in between, you will find this job both challenging and rewarding. That is why you will need to bring a strong background in planning management, extensive experience in dealing with complex and contentious planning matters and fresh thinking about how a high-quality service can be delivered in the most efficient and cost-effective way to make the most of this great opportunity to shape the new single service.
What will you be doing?
As the strategic lead for Planning Management & Enforcement you will be accountable for the successful delivery of all day-to-day functions provided by the service.
- Provide professional and technical guidance and advice to the Assistant Director, corporate leadership team, elected members and members of the public.
- Develop and implement plans and strategies to transform the council’s services, building partnerships across the council and with external stakeholders.
- You will lead the team to deliver consistently high performing, cost effective and robust services and provide high quality places across North Northamptonshire.
- Manage change within the service and build and maintain an enthusiastic and committed workforce with a “one team” approach.
- Recognise and react to changes in legislation, guidance and best practice to ensure the effective implementation of any necessary changes.
- Represent the council on planning management and enforcement issues in countywide, regional and national forums.
You will have a degree in a planning related subject with a professional qualification and chartered status, with expert knowledge of the planning system and associated legislation.
You’ll have previous experience in working at a senior level for local planning authority and excellent knowledge and understanding of the dynamics and complexities of local government.
You’ll be a strong leader, with excellent negotiation and influencing skills you will drive through change management and service delivery improvements.
You will have demonstrable excellent communication skills to enable you to develop and influence.
You will be able to solve problems and provide value for money solutions.
If you are looking to further your career in a large complex organisation that can provide you with a range of career experience then we’d love to welcome you to our friendly team.
We currently work in a hybrid way, so there are opportunities to balance great face to face service, with the flexibility to work remotely.
For an informal discussion about the role or to find out more information, please Rob Harbour, Assistant Director for Growth and Regeneration. Email: email@example.com
- a competitive salary
- a pension scheme, where we pay a significant contribution on top of your contribution. It provides life cover and ill-health protection.
- opportunities to develop your skills, knowledge and potential in a large unitary council
- generous leave entitlement (28 days, rising to 33 days) and bank holidays, plus the option to buy up to an extra 10 days
- agile and flexible working arrangements to help you with a healthy work-life balance.
We are a new unitary council, established in April 2021; we are one of the largest unitary councils in the country. Our vision for North Northants is to be 'A place where everyone has the best opportunities and quality of life'.
Our priorities are:
- helping people live active fulfilled lives
- caring for our young people, providing them with high quality education and opportunities
- enabling a thriving and successful economy
- leading on a green and sustainable environment
- ensuring our communities are connected so they can shape their lives and where they live
- providing modern public services
Our values, as chosen by our staff, are - Customer-focused, Respectful, Efficient, Supportive and Trustworthy.
Your differences make us different - Achieve Together.
We are undertaking consultation with the Trade Unions on terms and conditions and the future NNC pay structure and during this time are appointing new employees on interim spot salaries. You will be advised of the outcome and any impact on your role once this work is complete.