About the role
Join our journey, make a difference!
Our Highways and Transport team are responsible for the provision of statutory highway services that all residents of North Northamptonshire use. The team provide a safe road network that operates efficiently and effectively.
The Highways Contract team manage the highway maintenance contract covering all aspects of highway maintenance and improvement works. The work is delivered by Kier who are the service provider for the Council and covers roads, footways, structures, drainage, routine and cyclical maintenance, traffic signals, signs and road markings, major schemes and local improvement schemes funded through the Integrated Transport budget. The team also oversees the delivery of highway professional services delivered by Kier including safety inspections, asset management, traffic and road safety design and public rights of way works.
The post holder will have direct responsibility for a small team managing the delivery of this work including procuring the work, quality checks, approval of payment, dealing with complaints and enquiries, insurance claims and attending formal contract meetings.
To find out more about our fantastic highways and transport services following the below link
What will you be doing?
What will you be doing?
As Highways Delivery Manager:
Support the Service Manager role (as defined in the NEC4 Term Service Contract form) who manages all aspects of Highways Service delivery included in the Highways Services contract.
Provide support to the Service Manager managing the highways maintenance budget.
Directly manage the team responsible for Contract Inspection.
Support the Service Manager in respect of managing all aspects of Highways Service delivery included in the Highways Services Contract, including ensuring that:
- Client-side activities meet both the spirit and requirements of the Contract and its associated Scope and Specification
- Key instructions, task orders and documents are passed to the Contractor to allow them to fulfil their responsibilities effectively
- Contractor activities and behaviours reflect those articulated in the Highways Contract and its associated Scope and Specification
- Contractor commitments (in their Contract bid submission) are captured and agreed in the Annual and Forward Plans, are inspected and monitored (to ensure adherence), and reported in a manner that aligns with the Contract performance regime
The information and reporting needs of the three tiers of Contract governance (Strategic Board, Operational Board and Delivery Group) are met throughout the life of the contract
Develop positive working relationship with the contractor to resolve issues as they arise in the interests of the residents and communities of North Northamptonshire.
Provide advice and information to elected members, to Executive, to Scrutiny Committees, and the Corporate Leadership Team of the Council to ensure that informed decisions are made which enable the Council to achieve its strategic priorities and objectives whilst complying with its statutory obligation, and relevant decision makers are aware of the performance of the Contract.
Support the Service Manager in monitoring and managing the budgets, performance and risks related to the service, including accurate estimating, forecasting and out-turns against agreed budgets. Assist with mitigating overspends to remain within allocated budgets and seek best value in accordance with the Council’s financial regulations.
Through the work of the team, provide a high standard of customer service to the Council’s elected Members, MPs Parish and Town Councils and residents in accordance with corporate requirements. Manage supporting colleagues in adopting a proactive and constructive approach to engaging positively with local Members, communities and residents to address their concerns and issues.
Liaise with colleagues in Highways and Transport and other Place and Economy Services as appropriate, regarding Highways issues relevant to the Contract and to the wider needs and ambitions of the Council.
You will be an experienced highways engineer with specific knowledge of highway maintenance techniques and solutions. We are looking for significant experience in managing a complex NEC4 contract with a particular emphasis on ensuring the Council obtains value for money and obtains the best outcomes by working with the service provider to develop maintenance strategies that enhance the safety and condition of the highway network for all user groups.
Budget control and general financial management skills are also required.
A customer focussed outlook is essential in meeting the needs and demands of the residents of North Northamptonshire as well as experience of dealing with Councillors and external organisations at a high level.
- a competitive salary
- a pension scheme, where we pay a significant contribution on top of your contribution. It provides life cover and ill-health protection.
- opportunities to develop your skills, knowledge and potential in a large unitary council
- generous leave entitlement (27 days, rising to 32 days) and bank holidays, plus the option to buy up to an extra 10 days
- agile and flexible working arrangements to help you with a healthy work-life balance.
We are a new unitary council, established in April 2021; we are one of the largest unitary councils in the country. Our vision for North Northants is to be 'A place where everyone has the best opportunities and quality of life'.
Our priorities are:
- helping people live active fulfilled lives
- caring for our young people, providing them with high quality education and opportunities
- enabling a thriving and successful economy
- leading on a green and sustainable environment
- ensuring our communities are connected do they can shape their lives and where they live
- providing modern public services
Our values, as chosen by our staff, are - Customer-focused, Respectful, Efficient, Supportive and Trustworthy.
Your differences make us different - Achieve Together.
We are undertaking consultation with the Trade Unions on terms and conditions and the future NNC pay structure and during this time are appointing new employees on interim spot salaries. You will be advised of the outcome and any impact on your role once this work is complete.